- Duration: 7 hours (1 hour lunch break)
- Participants: 20
- Difficulty: beginner/advanced
Learn how to achieve painterly effects with Lutradur (a spunbonded textile) in easily achievable stages. In the class we will work on producing a small, leaf-themed, quilted piece. We will discuss very simple aspects of colour theory and then paint sheets of fine Lutradur and from these cut a series of organic leaf shapes that can then be incorporated into your project. Pat will discuss composition, gilding and foiling, and a variety of stitching techniques. Once learnt, these techniques can then be transferred and applied to figures and other complex shapes.
Pat will bring the essential added extras (Lutradur, water-based dyes, foils and glues) for you at a cost of € 13 per kit.
No artistic talent required! Students should have basic sewing machine skills. Students will be very close to having a completed item at the end of the workshop. (Lutradur figures have been used in several of Pat’s Indian Series.)
Important – Please pre-cut all fabrics and batting before the class!
- Main Fabric 10” x 21” (25cm x 55cm). Marbled fabrics or batiks are suitable – see alongside for inspiration. Patterned fabrics are not suitable.
- Backing fabric 10” x 21” (25cm x 55cm)
- 100% cotton wadding 10” x 21” (25cm x 55cm) (do not bring polyester wadding)
- Fabric to bind your quilt with – two strips 44” x 2½” (112cm x 6cm) – we may not get to this stage in the workshop
- Bring along a selection of machine threads e.g. rayon machine embroidery threads and variegated threads to compliment your fabric.
- 505 Basting Spray
- Scissors for paper and fabric
- Pencil and black felt pen with medium nib (e.g. Sharpie)
- Baking parchment/Teflon sheet
- Sewing machine, instruction book and attachments
- Walking foot for your machine
- Darning foot/free motion embroidery foot
- Cover for your feed dogs if your machine needs this
- All-purpose machine needles
- Neutral machine thread wound onto bobbin
- Rotary cutter, mat and ruler
- Plastic bag for trimmings
- Bin Liner or piece of plastic to protect your table
- Water pot
- Iron and small ironing pad
ClassFee: € 130
The class fee includes admission for the day of the class!
- Class Title: Leaves in Lutradur
- Class ID: PAR-LL
All images ©Pat Archibald, used with kind permission of the artist.