Rules & Guidelines for the GL&FQ Challenge 2022
Theme: “Moving Waters”
(reflecting the “Construction-Water-Ground” section of the Ostfalia College Suderburg)
What are your thoughts when you think about “water” combined with “movement”?
What are your spontaneous images, ideas and inspirations?
The field is so wide and divers, starting with
- the oceans – waves, jet streams, tsunamis, tides, rip tides, swirls etc.,
- the rivers – the big streams of the world, brooks, floods, river deltas, etc.,
- water from above – rain, thunderstorms, monsoons, puddles, dew drops, etc.,
- water in everyday life – tap water, drinking water, boiling water, mineral water, hose water, watering water, etc.,
- water “with a twist” – water pollution, water sports, sweat, water colors, etc.
You’ll probably come up with a lot more ideas. Just how you are going to express those ideas in one (or maybe even two!) quilt(s) – that’s what the GL&FQ team is more than eager to find out!
60 x 120 cm / 24″ x 48″
(width x height; portrait layout only) ± 2,5 cm / 1″
- Hilde van Schaardenburg (NL)
- Mari-Carmen Pujante (DE)
- Monika Hülsebusch (DE)
- Marjan Ruitenberg (NL)
- 1st prize
- 2nd prize
- 3rd prize
- Award of the Ostfalia University of Applied Sciences
- Viewers’ Choice award
- Special award for the best quilt “Young Creators” (age up to 16 years) – a JUKI sewing machine!
The judges will decide if the following speical prizes will be awarded:
- Award for excellent interpretation of theme
- Award for excellent hand quilting
- Award for excellent machine quilting (DSM, longarm machine)
- Award for excellent patchwork (piecing, appliqué)
- Award for excellent surface design (embroidery, mixed media, mixed techniques)
All quilts of the challenge will be exhibited at the Nadelwelt in Karlsruhe!
Rules & Guidelines
We encourage the challenge participants to share the making-of process of their works on social media (Facebook, Instagram or the like, blogs, homepages etc.). However, you can only publish photos of details that don’t allow any conclusions about the look of the finished piece!
- Entries must consists of three layers – top, batting/wadding and backing – that are connected by stitching.
- All quilts must have been quilted – by hand or by machine either on a domestic sewing machine (DSM) or on a longarm machine (stand-up or sit-down).
- All techniques and styles can be used.
- The back of the quilt must be visible, i.e. a “false back” is not allowed.
- Framed quilts are not allowed.
- Should your quilt require a more intricate hanging system rather than just a single hanging rod, please contact the organizers prior to entering your quilt!
- Using a computerized quilting system is allowed. This must be indicated on the entry form.
- Using a stitch regulator is explicitly not considered computerized quilting.
- Tied quilts and quilts made from preprinted panels, from kits or commercial patterns must not be entered.
- Every entrant can enter a maximum of two (2) quilts.
- A maximum of two (2) persons may have worked on any given entry.
- Each quilter may have quilted the entries of up to two (2) piecers.
- In order to enter your quilt, you need to fill in the entry form and provide two high-quality digital photographs – one full view and one detail view showing the quilting.
- The entry deadline is Friday, 15 July 2022 (
Thursday, 7 July 2022).
- The entrants of all accepted quilts will be informed personally by email on Thursday, 21 July 2022.
- Every quilt must be equipped with a sleeve (10 cm/4”) at the top edge, which must be attached in a way to comfortably accommodate the hanging rod. As the quilts will be hung using one hanging string, the sleeve needs to have an opening of approx. 2 cm/1” in the center.
- Every quilts needs to have a fabric label attached in one of the bottom corners containing the following information:
- title of the quilt
- year of completion
- dimensions (cm/inches; width x height)
- name, address, email address and phone number (including country prefix) of the entrant
- name, company name and website address of the quilter (if applicable)
- In order to allow for anonymous judging, the label needs to be covered with a piece of fabric.
- Every quilt needs to be accompanied by a description that clearly shows why and how the challenge theme has been interpreted in the artwork. This text should not be longer than 300 words. It will be considered in the judging, will be read during the awards ceremony and will be presented next to your quilt.
- It’s the entrant’s responsibility that the quilt arrives at the event in time, clean and in the best possible condition.
- The accepted quilts must arrive at the organizers by Monday, 8 August 2022.
- The accepted quilts are insured starting with their arrival at the organizers, during the show and up to the point that they are picked up by their owners or are handed over to the shipping company.
- The decision of the judges is final.
- The awards ceremony will take place on Friday, 19 August 2022 during the official GL&FQ 2022 opening party starting at 6:00 pm in the college’s foyer.
- Voting for the Viewers’ Choice award will start during the opening party on Friday evening and will close on Sunday afternoon at 3:30 pm. The prize will be awarded on Sunday afternoon at 4:30 pm.