- Duration: 5 ½ hours
- Participants: 10
- Difficulty: Beginners
I’ll show you how you can turn a photo of a person or an animal into a fabric portrait in just a few hours. Each of you will create your own individual portrait. We will start by editing of the photo on the computer. For example, we will change the contrasts, the sharpness and the color value levels and we will clip the image. In the class, we will do this with the help of a sample photo.
Please send me your picture(s) before class by stoffpaula∂googlemail.com">e-mail, so I can work on these images with your input.
Then we print out the edited photo and you start to cut the fabric in the individual color levels and build up the portrait. I will give you many tips on how to use the different materials and tools and why to use them and not others.
Then we will talk about the different ways to complete the portrait, such as quilting and or attaching it to a frame. You will then complete this step in peace and quiet at home. Finally I will give you some hints for the production of larger or multicolored portraits. You don’t need to bring a sewing machine to the course, but a good mood and humour are good companions for the day.
- Approx. 6 – 7 Substances in colour gradations from white to grey to black (or other colour directions)
such as beige/brown or blue) in A4 format. The best results can be achieved with solid-colored fabric.
- Possibly a background fabric matching the motif.
- 6-7 sheets (1- 2 packs A4) “Lite Steam a Seam 2” (please be sure to buy the original from The
Warmcompany) or the corresponding quantity H 250 by the meter, preferably slightly larger than A4 or other stabilising non-woven ironing material
- 1 or more pictures on a suitable data carrier (USB stick, CD or SD card), minimum size 1 MB
Additional Equipment to Bring:
- Red marker
- Paper scissors
- Small and medium cloth scissors (if possible a very small one, such as e.g. embroidery scissors)
- Flat iron
- Ironing surface
- Baking paper for ironing
Class Fee: € 70
The class fee includes admission for the day of the class!
- Class Name: Portraits in Fabric
- Class ID: CNI-PS
All images ©Claudia Nimmrichter, used by kind permission of the artist.