- Duration: 7 hours (1 hour lunch break)
- Number of participants 15
- Level of difficulty: beginner/advanced
Tyvek is a tear and water resistant material made of polyethylene fibres. It can be painted very well and takes on wondrous shapes through heat treatment, which can easily be worked by hand or with a sewing machine. For example, you can use this material to make individual cards, decorate a book or photo album cover or create a small textile picture. Together we will explore different ways of working with Tyvek: with the iron, with the heat gun and with the soldering iron. We will paint, cut, shrink, sew and embroider the material! It is very playful work and you can continue working and trying out at your leisure in the afternoon.
No special previous knowledge is required for this course.
The materials package can be purchased on site at a cost of €8 and includes:
- 30 cm Tyvek paper (140 cm wide)
- 20 cm Tyvek paper (140 cm wide)
- Acrylic paints
- Silk fibres
- Machine embroidery threads (to share)
The Tyvek will certainly last for a little more than the class!
- Sewing machine with a normal presser foot and a quilting or embroidery foot.
- Iron and ironing pad or ironing board
- Extension cord with multiple plugs
- Approx. 30 cm Tyvek paper (42 and/or 54 g/m²) and 20 cm Tyvek fabric (44 g/m²) (see materials package)
- Fabric scraps in different colours, rather plain or patterned in itself without motif. Self-dyed fabrics would be ideal. All types of fabric can be interesting: Cotton, silk, linen, organza, velvet, sizo pile etc. We only need 2 pieces at a time and can swap between one another!
- 1 piece of white cotton (approx. 20 x 15 cm)
- 1 piece of thin fleece (approx. 20 x 15 cm)
- 1 piece of backing fabric (approx. 20 x 15 cm)
- 1 piece dark stretch velvet (approx. 20 x 20 cm)
- 1 piece of fleece fix (approx. 20 x 20 cm)
- If available: wool or silk fibre and coloured gauze (see materials package)
- Machine embroidery threads (see materials package)
- Machine needles 80 (Topstitch or embroidery needle)
- 1 skewer (if available)
- 1 piece of garden wire (if available)
- Paper and fabric scissors
- Acrylic paints (see materials package)
- Brushes at least 1 cm wide
- Empty jam jar or paint palette
- Some old newspaper and plastic wrap to cover the tables
- 1 piece of baking paper
- Cork board min. 20 x 30 cm and min. 1 cm thick or ironing pad (if available)
- 1 heat gun
- 1 soldering iron with a fine tip
- 1 sheet of glass or tile to place underneath
Class Fee: € 130
The class fee includes the admission fee to the show for the day of the class!
- Class Name: Small Tyvek Phantasies
- Class ID: IWI-FT
All images ©Isabelle Wiessler, used with kind permission of the artist.