- Duration: 7 hours (1 hour lunch break)
- Number of participants 15
- Level of difficulty: beginner/advanced
Lutradur is a synthetic polyester fiber. It is an incredibly versatile material for mixed media and can be painted, dyed and embroidered. We then work out various design possibilities with Lutradur and integrate other materials as required, such as artificial felt, metal foil or painted Wonder Under (Vliesofix). With the help of a heat gun or a soldering iron, the Lutradur can change, melt and get a new structure. In this way we can specifically transform it into new surfaces and ornaments that can be used in small paintings.
No special previous knowledge is required for this course.
The materials package can be purchased on site at a cost of €7 and includes:
- Metal foils
- Chiffon scarves
- Sewing machine with a normal presser foot and a quilting or embroidery foot
- Iron and ironing pad or ironing board
- Extension cord with multiple plugs
- Fabric scraps (DIN A4) in different colours, rather plain or patterned without motif. Self-dyed fabrics would be ideal. All types of fabric can be interesting: Cotton, silk, linen, organza, velvet, sizoflor, etc. We need 4 – 5 pieces and can swap among each other!
- Machine embroidery threads
- Machine needles 80 (topstitch or embroidery needle)
- Paper and fabric scissors
- 1 piece of Lutradur 100 (approx. 20 cm; see Materials Package)
- 1 piece of Vliesofix (approx. 20 cm; see )Materials Package
- 1 piece of Kunin felt (DIN A4; 100 % acrylic felt; see Materials Package)
- Metal foils (see Materials Package)
- 1-2 thin chiffon scarves (available from me – please don’t look for them because they are hard to find! See Materials Package)
- Empty jam jar or colour palette
- Glass for water
- Some old newspapers and plastic wrap to cover the tables
- A few tubes of acrylic paint
- Medium sized bristle brush
- 1 piece of baking paper (approx. 1 m)
- Heat gun
- Soldering iron with a fine tip
- Glass plate, silicone mat or tile to place underneath
- Cork board of min. 20 x 30 cm and min. 1 cm thickness or ironing pad (if available)
- Notebook for notes
If you don’t have corkboard, glass plate, heat gun or soldering iron on hand, I will have 2 – 3 of each with me. You will not always use these items at the same time!
Class Fee: € 130
The class fee includes the admission fee to the show for the day of the class!
- Class Name: Lutradur
- Class ID: IWI-LU
All images ©Isabelle Wiessler, used with kind permission of the artist.